Monday, May 6, 2013

A horse racing fan for a few weeks

By Jeff Orvis

In case you missed it, we are in the early stages of the time of year when many of us become fans of horse racing. On Saturday, a horse named “Orb” came from the middle of a pack of 18 other thoroughbreds to win the Kentucky Derby. What I like to call the “mass appeal horse racing season” continues in a little under two weeks with the running of the Preakness Stakes in Maryland. Then two weeks later, the action moves to the Belmont Stakes in New York.

I've been a sports fan for more than 50 years. I like to observe the major traditions of many sports, so I try to watch each of these three races. It's always exciting after the Kentucky Derby to see if the winner can win the second of the three Triple Crown events. On the rare occasions when a horse wins the first two events, the excitement mounts.

In recent years, I've taken more time for reflection on the sports I enjoy watching. It's mind-boggling to know that on any given Saturday afternoon in the fall, there are millions of people sitting in the stands watching college football. Toward the end of May, we will pause for an afternoon to watch the Indy 500 car race, while more than 200,000 fans help swell the population of the state of Indiana for the day.

I know very little about horses or horse racing. I've had the good sense not to attempt to ever ride a horse, but I have often admired these strong, beautiful animals from the safety of being across the fence. At Churchill Downs last Saturday, there were more than 150,000 fans who undoubtedly know much more about the sport than I do. There were even “Derby Day” parties across the country, as fans who didn't make the trip could gather, wear some outlandish hats and sip mint juleps as they awaited the two minute race.

As NBC so adeptly pointed out during its over two hour coverage, several of the underlying stories of the race involved the jockeys. There was an African-American attempting to be the first African American to win in over 100 years. There was an accomplished female rider attempting to be the first and a veteran jockey who came back to the sport after a seven-year retirement.

While I realize that there are many horse races across the country during the year, I wonder just how many folks ever watch a race after the three Triple Crown events are finished for the year. And I wonder how many of these part-time fans take the time to really watch the race and admire the athletic ability of the beautiful animals and their skilled jockeys.

I guess you really have to have a passion for the sport to own and groom a horse for these major races. It must take tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to raise and care for these animals each year. A select few return that investment through purse winnings and stud fees. But I have a Facebook friend who forwarded an article from PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) calling for a boycott of the Kentucky Derby. The PETA folks claim many of the horses who don't win these big races end up in the slaughterhouse.

But to qualify for the Triple Crown races, the horse must be something special. I suspect that when their racing days are over, they are retired to the grass-covered ranches in Kentucky and elsewhere to live out a peaceful life.

I'm glad I never attempted to be a horse racing writer. I don't understand blood lines and all the rest. I only know that for about two minutes on the first Saturday of May, the best place to be is either in Kentucky or in front of a TV. The heart beats a little faster immediately before the start of the race as we all try to sing “My Old Kentucky Home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment