Monday, May 20, 2013

Special words for the Class of 2013

By Jeff Orvis

Over the years as I have written columns in various formats, I've developed a tradition of writing pieces on specific topics at certain times of the year. As we close in on the end of May and the end of another school year, I usually make some comments, some reminders, for the graduates.

For many years, I had the pleasure of getting to know some remarkable students. Many of them were student athletes at the high school level. But some others may have excelled in other areas as they made that trek toward the high school diploma. As I worked in community journalism, I attended graduation every year. I could understand why teachers who had been associated with these students for four years or more may have shed a tear or two as they sent them out into the world. I could fully understand why most grandparents enjoy their grandchildren. As the old saying goes, grandparents have the opportunity to see their grandchildren for awhile, then give them back to their parents. The “parents” in this saying, the ones who had to cope with both the highs and lows of the daily lives of these students, would be their teachers. I would be the one who visited the school and interacted with the student for a story, then could leave, just like a grandparent.

One of the reminders I give to grads every time I write is to remember who got them to the point where they are crossing that stage and accepting that diploma. Remember to visit your teachers, or at least communicate with them, to thank them for all they had done and to let them know what they had accomplished. And don't just talk to the most popular teacher. My sophomore English teacher delighted in cultivating a climate of fear among many of her students. You knew not to cross Mrs. Hultgren. Of course, she was one of the teachers who taught me the most. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it at the time and didn't get a chance to thank her years later.

It's great to have one or two teachers you can relate to and who can help you during tough times. But sometimes some of the toughest teachers are the ones who mean the most to your ultimate success.

Members of the high school class of 2013 face some incredible obstacles I could never imagine. Many of you are heading off to a four-year college, where you will pay 10 times what I did when I was a high school freshman. If it had not been for various scholarships and grants, I would have never had a chance at college. That's the same for many incoming freshmen today. But the competition for those scholarships seems much more difficult today. In fact, gaining acceptance into many colleges is also tougher than it was back in my time.

The challenges that today's grads face seem far more difficult than those I faced when I was coming out of Pleasant Valley High School. The opportunities are there, but they are tougher to obtain. Thankfully, I've observed that many of today's grads are more mature and driven than my classmates were. They have to be. They work harder and, if some internet posts are to be believed, they play harder at some colleges.

So you've got your academics in order, you've chosen and been accepted at the college of your choice and have somehow lined up the funds to go there. One key ingredient to your success won't necessarily cost any money. It will, however, take some time and soul-searching. As you prepare to leave for school later this summer, many of you will be reminded to pack your Bible and find a church. Moms and grandmothers are good at making those reminders. But whether you can answer that alarm on Sundays to attend services or find time to crack open that Bible on a regular basis, don't forget to pack what I like to call your moral compass.

I was reminded of that last night as I chose to watch a couple of episodes of “The Waltons.” You may remember that TV series featured a big family growing up during the depression in the hills of Virginia. The large family was patterned from the real life family of Earl Hamner Jr. He created the show, wrote most, if not all of the stories and narrated each episode. Earl's character was the oldest son in the family, John Boy.
Naturally, after spending most of my adult life writing, I empathized with the John Boy character. My family situation was a lot different – I have just one sister instead of a houseful. We lived in much better circumstances than the Walton family, where grandparents also lived under the same roof. By the end of the show's run, there were four generations living in that house.

Of course, skeptics who watch an episode would be quick to point out that it is far from today's reality. The brothers and sisters would have their conflicts, but they were generally settled by the end of each episode. Unfortunately, fewer and fewer of today's households include two parents, let alone the availability of wise grandparents.

But watch closely with an open mind and you can usually learn some valuable life's lessons. As you embark on the next chapter of your lives, find someone you can lean on during tough times. Ideally, it will be a parent, grandparent or older aunt or uncle. It might be the pastor at your church. But it could also be one of those high school teachers who went the extra mile to lead you to success.

My best bit of advice is to find that special someone who can periodically tune that moral compass. Best of luck to the Class of 2013. Those of us who went before you are counting on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment