Thursday, May 16, 2013

Learning new lessons on the job hunt

By Jeff Orvis

As I continue in this seemingly endless search for a job, there have been some highs and lows. It's been a real learning experience, although I feel like I've more than paid my tuition and am anxious to begin reaping some rewards.

Every morning, I wake up to a local talk radio station. It's a Fox News affiliate, which might surprise a lot of you who know my leftist leanings. But I figure if I awake to a nice oldies music station, I might just forget to get up until late morning. This way, I gain a little information, then when I get sick of listening to the right-wing half-truths, I turn it off and climb out of bed.

It seems that several times a week, I'm greeted with news of the federal government's latest unemployment numbers. A few short years ago, I never thought I would be a statistic, but at least if you subscribe to the saying that misery loves company, I guess there's some comfort in the fact that I'm not alone.

As I surf the internet for job prospects, I'm learning there are quite a few jobs out there I never thought of before. Many companies now have made it more convenient for prospective employees to apply by putting the application process on the web. This way, you don't necessarily need to spend a lot of shoe leather or auto gas, nor do you need to bother prospective employers unless they decide they want to see you.

I recently spent the better part of an afternoon navigating through the application process for a job at the country's major discount retailer. As I am a regular customer at this business, I've had the chance to encounter many of the folks who work there. I figured that with that many employees, there's sure to be some turnover. I also figured there had to be something there I could do.

This application process has been something new for me. This is where you figure you're never too old to learn. I don't think I've ever filled out an application for a job that I eventually won that was more than two pages. My first full-time newspaper job resulted from a promotion that began when I was a correspondent for the local paper while still in high school. I continued to work summers there while in college and when it became apparent that my college career was at an end, the editor said he figured if he didn't hire me full-time, he would lose me part-time.

My next stop, this one out of the Quad-Cities area, started with a phone call, as I answered an ad in the daily paper. The publisher invited me to visit for an interview and my parents and I made the 125 mile trip. That began an 18-year career over a 20-year stretch.

When that job was eventually eliminated by a new owner of the paper, a phone call from a local businessman convinced me to try my hand at being a publisher. That lasted a year before the economy swallowed us. But a publisher from a paper in a neighboring county, who had visited our office in his capacity with the Iowa Newspaper Association, remembered me and invited me to meet with him and his partners for a job as an editor at one of their papers.

That job lasted another 11 years before the new owners cut staff and I was one of the cuts. Once again, I was out of work for about four months before beginning a new venture as an on line local news editor. When the non-profit group that owned the web site was unable to sustain a full-time editor, I was once again looking for work a year later.

So I've been out of practice in the formal application process for many years. When I went to the web site of the aforementioned retailer, I was amazed at the volume of information I was asked to supply. They wanted to know what hours I would be available, what jobs I was interested in, what salary I expected, whether I was looking for full or part-time work and on and on.

The final kicker in this process was a 65-question test, where I was given one-sentence scenarios and asked to rate whether I strongly agreed, agreed, had no opinion, disagreed or strongly disagreed. I'll have to say that after encountering some of the folks that work at this store, I was amazed that they had the patience or ability to fill out the same application I did.

You had to be careful as you answered each of these questions, In one scenario, they asked if you agreed or disagreed that it was okay to take money from your place of work.

The human resources department at this company must be something special. They must employ psychologists to write these applications. Then they must have another department of people who pour over each application to try to find the right person for the right spot.

I just hope that all of this is worth it and that as I fill out other similar forms, I will give all the right answers and begin collecting a paycheck again. It's easy to get frustrated and wonder if it's worth all the hassle. But despite passing the big 6-0 milestone, I realize that it's a few years until retirement.

Good thoughts and prayers from my friends remain my greatest asset. Time to get back on the hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment