Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Don't bypass that class reunion!

By Jeff Orvis

Hello faithful blog followers! I know it's been awhile since we last communicated and in a way that's the topic today.

I recently was a guest at the 40th class reunion of the Pleasant Valley High School Class of 1973. My sister was visiting and since she was flying solo on this trip, since she knew I know a lot of those in her class and since she didn't want to go alone, I tagged along.

This is the season for class reunions around the country. While many folks look forward to the chance to catch up with friends they may not have seen for many years, secretly, I'll bet many of us face the night with a bit of trepidation. Will anyone notice how much weight I've gained? What if I'm the oldest-looking person in the room? What if my old girlfriend (boyfriend) is there (heart beginning to race)? Will he (she) recognize me? Will we have anything to talk about after all these years?

A person can go a bit crazy just in the preparation for the big night. Many spend hours picking out just the right thing to wear and general sprucing up, even if the reunion is not being held in a five-diamond restaurant but in a remodeled roadside bar.

Quite often, all those fears seem silly the minute you step into the room. That was the case on Saturday night. As soon as we opened the door, it was easy to follow the sound to the deck where the event was being held. The amount and level of conversation was quite high, indicating that a lot of us still had plenty to talk about.

It was a warm night and most of us were dressed for the occasion – no high heels for the women, no ties on the men. It seemed like more than half of us were soon drinking long-neck beers, domestic wine of soft drinks – no pretentious fancy drinks in sight.

There's always a fear that these events will be a chance for some people to brag about what they've done. There was a lot of good-natured bragging, but it had more to do with the number of children and grandchildren we have rather than how successful we had been in our professional lives.

I know there have been more than a few success stories coming out of this class. One friend, an engineer, talked about how he had overcome corporate downsizing several times to settle in various parts of the country before finally landing back in Eastern Iowa. Another very successful member of this class was missing and that's probably the only sad part of the evening for me. But the girl I considered my best friend during the final couple of years of my high school career couldn't make it this year. She may not even be in the country right now. She has combined a very successful medical practice in San Diego with the service of treating those in need in various parts of the world. Lynn if you are reading this, it is still my goal to someday have a chance to sit down with you so you can tell me just how you have been able to to accomplish everything you have in your life. But I will tell you now I'm certainly not surprised!

I guess that also sums up my feeling about this gathering. I really wasn't surprised that I immediately felt welcome and at home with these folks. While it's been 40 years since we saw each other every day, in some ways the years melted away for a couple of hours on a Saturday night. The Spartans of our era are a friendly, non-judgemental group who seemed genuinely glad to see each other. The grand and glorious class of '71 may get together in three years and I expect the same great evening.

There's a special place in Heaven for the members of the class who spent countless hours organizing this reunion. They know that while we all went our separate ways after graduation, we still share a common bond that can't and shouldn't be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment