Friday, March 29, 2013

Random thoughts for a sunny Spring day

By Jeff Orvis

Happy Spring everybody!

I've been collecting a few random thoughts these past few days, so please stay with me and you will soon discover why I call this column “Ramblings.”

Many of us have been impatiently waiting for warmer weather. Perhaps it's because we remember a year ago, when we were basking in 80 degree temperatures. A few weeks ago, I was sure Spring was on its way when I saw a patch of lawn in our complex covered with about 40 robins. Less than a week later, we had six inches of snow and if these robins could talk, they would have been saying, “What the heck is this?!”
Then I thought surely with the birth of our two newest bald eagles at the Alcoa site, Spring must be here. But the other day, as snow was again flying in the area, I saw that one of adult eagles was sitting on the nest, protecting the young ones, as snow covered him.

But the best sign of spring may have come earlier this week, when I noticed that the supermarket in our neighborhood was getting ready to display dozens of flowering spring plants in front of the store.
Several local golf courses opened today and the Major League Baseball season begins on Sunday. That must mean Spring, right?

I have several friends on Facebook and I notice that quite often, they are complaining about their jobs and long for more days off. Speaking for those of us who have been without a job for a lot of days now, my only advice is to cherish what you've got. It's tough out here, especially for those of us who worked in a profession where we truly believed that if you were doing something that you liked, you would never admit to working a day in your life. I also realize that I have been very fortunate in that I landed each of the few positions I held over my work life on the first try. In fact, one of the newspapers called me after being gone for a couple of years and asked me to come back (which I did, since I left on the best of terms).

But this is a different world. If you have a job, especially if it is one you enjoy, never take it for granted. Be grateful each day for what you have.

Finally, we are in the midst of anticipation for Easter Sunday. I'll admit I took care of the less important things this week. I bought a bag of jelly beans and a bag of “Robin Eggs” malted milk balls, so I have my Easter candy for the next few months. I've got my menu planned and ham and other things purchased.
But most importantly, I have been busy in rehearsal with our wonderful choir at Asbury Methodist Church for our songs we will be singing in tonight's Good Friday service and for Sunday's Easter service.

Last Sunday, the newspaper was filled with ads for Easter candy and gifts. The toy stores apparently view this holiday as another big one. Nothing says the death and resurrection of our Lord quite like a Barbie doll!
My hope is that if your youngster asks you why we celebrate Easter, you can come up with the true reason for the season.

May you all have a happy and blessed Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment