Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My annual fearless NCAA predictions

By Jeff Orvis

Long before I began writing this blog, I was writing columns. Everybody has an opinion on something. I was just fortunate enough to convince a parade of editors that my opinions could be printed in a newspaper.

Each year, I have devoted one column to the postseason basketball tournaments. In past years, I have posted my fearless predictions on the NCAA men's tournament. This year, there are no fewer than five teams from the state of Iowa in postseason play, so I've had to broaden the scope of these choices.

Before going any further, I should admit that some years ago, I put down a buck or two on an NCAA pool orchestrated by a former city clerk in Independence. After careful consideration, I would submit my picks just before the start of the tournament. By either Friday morning or certainly by the following Monday after the first weekend of the tourney, the clerk would stop by and thank me for my “donation” to the pool. It was his not-so-subtle way of telling me that I missed so many on the first day, I had no chance of winning.

Despite my rather poor record, this is an exciting time of year for college basketball fans. It all comes to a close in early April, when the eventual NCAA champ is crowned and CBS-TV ends its coverage with the playing of the theme song, “One Shining Moment,” as highlights of the tourney are shown. It never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

The postseason gets underway tonight for teams from the state, as Iowa hosts Indiana State in the NIT. The game will be shown on ESBN 2, starting at 6 p.m. Northern Iowa is playing in the College Insider Tournament tonight, playing North Dakota. But there's no television for this game.

The next action for Iowa teams is not until Friday night, when Iowa State takes on Notre Dame at 9:45 p.m. CBS has the coverage. On Saturday, the women open their tournament play when Iowa State takes on Gonzaga at 3 p.m. That game is on ESPN 2. The Iowa women will open on Sunday against Miami. ESPN 2 also has that game, starting at 6:30 p.m.

Another team I'm going to be watching is the Creighton men. They are coached by Greg McDermott, former coach at UNI and Iowa State. Their main man is the coach's son, Doug McDermott, who could be the national player of the year this season. Creighton opens against Cincinnati Friday on CBS at 2:45 p.m.

Actually, I stayed up past my normal bedtime last night to watch Stanford beat Stephen F. Austin by a point in an opening round NIT game. Stanford has a player who played his high school ball at Rock Island and Stephen F. Austin has a player to starred at Davenport Central.

Those are the first round games. Check the web for times for all of our local teams that win their first games.
That brings me to my fearless first round predictions. The selection committee has done a pretty good job of pairings this season. Of the first 32 games, I'm going with the upper seed in all but five of the games. I think Missouri can beat Colorado State in what could be a mild upset. In another eight-nine match, I like Wichita State over Pittsburgh. And going with my heart instead of my head, I've got Iowa State, the tenth seed, stopping seventh-seed Notre Dame.

Over on the other side of the bracket, I'm going with Minnesota over UCLA. The Big Ten is the best basketball conference in the country this year. My other upset in this half is Oklahoma State over San Diego State, another nod to the Big 12 over the coast team.

The top seeds in each of the four regions could go all the way to the Final Four. I think Duke might take down top-seeded Louisville in the Midwest. Look for Gonzaga to take its top seed to Atlanta for the Final Four. I like Indiana and Kansas on the other side, just as the committee predicted.

So, get the snacks ready, the remote control warmed up and the “reserved” sign on the recliner and get ready for a ridiculous amount of basketball in the coming days and nights. Go Hawks, Cyclones, Panthers...and Blue Jays (Creighton)!

No comments:

Post a Comment