Monday, March 11, 2013

Calling all Facebook friends for help

By Jeff Orvis

The unemployment rate is down this week nationally. Folks who are paid to watch such things claim that jobs were created last month. These numbers are just that, numbers, unless you are one of them.

For well over 30 years, I knew each morning when I woke up I had somewhere to be. There were stories to tell, news to produce, people to meet. When the cold reality of small town economics, coupled with corporate downsizing hit me, I thought at least I had somewhere to live. As I got ready to come back to the Quad-Cities, I thought, and still believe, that this was God's way of telling me I should be moving back closer to my mom and other family members.

My plan was to look for work here and continue to look after Mom. Those plans were suddenly altered in a tough way last September when Mom left us. Now I'm faced with no job and some hefty expenses as I attempt to settle her estate, sell her condo and find somewhere to live.

As I search for that next chapter in my life, I realize just how blessed I've been. I've been living proof that when God closes a door, he opens a window. As I wait for that next window to open, I am realizing, with the help of family and friends, that maybe He's going to unlock the next window, but I have to know how to open it and climb through it. And that's where my Facebook friends come in.

I realize I have to brush up on my networking skills, confident that somebody knows somebody who knows of a job I am capable of doing and then somebody knows somebody who would help me find a new place to live.

I know this blog entry is a bit of a departure for me. The personal nature is getting me out of my comfort zone. But I also have the ability to recognize that cold slap of reality and it's time to “suck it up” to borrow an old sports phrase and seek out those possibilities.

If you know of anyone looking for someone who has worked with people for many years, knows how to put together a coherent sentence and has some basic computer skills, please let me know via Facebook message. In the meantime, please keep me in your prayers and offer a kick in the pants or a pat on the back from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment