Monday, May 19, 2014

This weeks topic: Billboard Awards and graduation

By Jeff Orvis

This is one of those times with a couple of ideas merge into one column. Strange how my mind works sometimes, but here goes:

This past weekend, many of my Facebook friends were celebrating graduations from high school, college and some post graduate work. Congratulations to one and all. Then on Sunday night, the Billboard Awards were on TV, celebrating the best of current music.

I am quite familiar with Billboard magazine. It's the Bible for the music industry from producers and artists to radio stations. We read it regularly around the college radio stations where I worked many years ago, during the era of records and reel-to-reel tape. Younger readers may want to ask your parents, or grandparents, for an explanation.

So I watched the Billboard show with what I hoped would be an open mind. I remember when my parents and grandparents were my current age, they had little use for the music I listened to. That hippie music wasn't for them. But I wanted to watch the show with more of an open mind. But please, no rap and easy on the hard-core country.

The show was a true visual spectacular. Flashing lights, limber dancers and pyrotechnics were the norm. Alas, memorable music was not. There were several performers I had heard before. The special appearance by Michael Jackson was a nice touch. It reminded me of the time when Natalie Cole sang a duet with her deceased father on another show.

So special effects were a good reason to watch the show. But I can honestly say I can't remember any of the songs performed less than 18 hours ago. I realize we live in a fast-paced society, but I miss some of the songs that we listened to back when we had KSTT Radio in Davenport or WLS, “the Rock of Chicago.”
Those production numbers we saw on Sunday night don't come cheap. Yet most of the money made by the performers, other than in their live concerts, is from downloaded tunes. The music is downloaded from a computer to a tiny device that listeners can then plug tiny earphones into and listen. They aren't downloading the lights or fireworks or dancers or fancy costumes.

So what does all this have to do with graduation, you may ask. As I read all the notes of congratulations this weekend, it brought back some neat memories of my own high school graduation. So I did a search and came up with a list of top tunes back in the dark ages of 1971. Yes, I'm that old, you can do the math.

Maybe it's due to the proliferation of oldies radio stations, but it seems that most of the artists on that list had much more longevity than today's hot artists. George Harrison, the former Beatle, led the list with the top hit, “My Sweet Lord,” for the first three weeks of the year. Tony Orlando and Dawn had the next three weeks with “Knock Three Times” and then the Osmonds were tops for the following five weeks with “One Bad Apple.” Hey, I didn't say every one of the songs had deep meaning, but most of them were easy to sing in the shower or in the car.

This month back in 1971, we were listening to Three Dog Night's “Joy to the World.” Other artists who had top hits that year are well known even today, including Rod Stewart, Paul and the late Linda McCartney, the late Janis Joplin, Carole King, James Taylor and the Rolling Stones. Now, how many of the singers we heard Sunday night will still be performing 40 years from now?

There were some very talented performers on the Billboard show that night. But unfortunately, we live in a disposable world. We buy new computer printers when the ink cartridges run dry, we replace our laptops with tablets, our tube TVs with flat screens and on and on.

I guess that's why I long for the good old days and why I cherish every one of my Chicago records, those big, flat things you play at 33 rpm on something called a turntable. Ask your grandparents.


No comments:

Post a Comment