Saturday, September 8, 2012

The journey ends and another begins

By JEFF ORVIS

She was supposed to live to be 100.

When we had my mom's 80th birthday celebration in February, the talk was that next major milestone would be a good time for another big bash. We knew she was slowed by some arthritis that caused her to use a walker. But she didn't let that slow her down in the ensuing months as she continued with her church work, worship and study, looking after her flowers and occasionally engaging me in an evening political debate.

None of us could have imagined that little more than five months after that birthday celebration, she would be facing the first of three major abdominal surgeries in a month, two weeks of frustrating and grueling rehab and ultimately, her last glorious voyage.

Mom, Waneta Orvis-Mosier, died last Tuesday. We had her funeral today (Saturday). She was laid to rest on top of the hill, next to my dad, at Pleasant Valley Cemetery.

When we took her to the emergency room at Trinity Medical Center-Bettendorf on July 29, a quick evaluation and some tests indicated the need for immediate surgery. The word went out and soon we had about a dozen family and close friends filling the surgical waiting room. That was a long night, but the wonderful surgeon came out after more than two hours of surgery to carefully explain just what he had to do to repair the injury.

A week later, we moved her to a local care center for what she realized would be rigorous rehabilitation. Her aim at that point was to quickly regain the strength she needed to get around with that walker and return to an active life. But her appetite was next to non-existent. Dehydration set in and that, coupled with an alarming (and virtually undetected) spike in her potassium level caused a return to the hospital. Two more surgeries in the span of 48 hours were required. This time, she was placed on a respirator. When it was determined that another major infection had set in, it was soon apparent that her body was wearing out.

I realize that many of you have had relatives that have faced major health problems. I detail what Mom experienced mainly for those who have asked me what caused her to go from a vibrant, smiling, loving mother, grandmother and great-grandmother to critical condition within such a short time.

It's been said that Mom had the mind and spirit of a 40-year-old in the body of an 80-year-old. She loved her family, friends and especially her church family. The first Christmas I was home after moving from Belle Plaine, we had a huge blizzard on Christmas Eve. Although authorities pleaded with motorists to stay home, she was determined to drive across the city to her church. I tried to remind her that God was everywhere and He would find her in our condo as quickly as he could when we got stuck on the side of a snow-covered city street.

Since it was Christmas, I said I would ride along, but I was NOT driving! In fact, I had plans on curling up on the floor of the front seat until we got there. When we did arrive at the church, some of her friends were amazed that I had not volunteered to drive. I just told them that it was entirely her idea and they quickly understood.

I've learned a lot in the last five weeks. After taking for granted that we had a new hospital just down the road, I learned there are many dedicated, compassionate health care professionals working there. Most of the nurses and CNAs I encountered were certainly not only more knowledgeable, but stronger than I am!

I learned how understanding my sister's employers are as they allowed her to travel to Iowa twice in a month for extended stays and how loving and understanding her husband has been as he balanced holding the household together in Florida, watching an active three-year-old (his grandson) as his daughter (my niece) recovered from some scheduled surgery. All this, and more, as he serves as an interim pastor at a church in St. Augustine.

Mom would be pleased to know that her passing enabled me to become better aquainted with my awesome niece and nephew and great-nephew (that active three-year-old who already shows that he has a heart of gold just like his mom and uncle).

I learned that Mom was loved and respected by a whole host of people in this area. Through those final days, I was reminded again and again by her pastor and mine that Mom was ready for that final journey. I have no doubt she had the best seat in the house today as we all celebrated her life.

I've never held the hand of someone as they took there last breath. Everybody has been concerned about how I'm doing. Mom needs to know that I listened to her and later to those two wonderful pastors and when she took that last breath, nine hours after the respirator was removed, my first thought was not one of sorrow, but a thought of celebration for a wonderful life and her even more wonderful eternal future.

There will undoubtedly be some rough days and weeks ahead, as I wrestle with this loss and look ahead to my future. But she seemed to know that I would come out okay. She prepared me well and pointed me in the right direction. I just need to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment