Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Moving no longer an easy task

Note: The following was written in the days immediately following my move. While awaiting the cable guy to transfer my service, I had no access to the internet, but access to the computer. This is the result of having a few days without communication with the outside world.

By Jeff Orvis

How many times have I moved in my just over 62 years on this earth? This is a question that I realize many people think about. If you grew up in a family where either or both parents were active military, you probably moved quite often. If you were successful in business and advanced up the corporate ladder, there were probably several moves in your life.

So what prompted this little trip down memory lane for me? I am in the latter stages of relocating to another address in this fair city. I say “latter stages” because although I have all my worldly possessions across town from where I was a scant six days ago, thanks to a small army of wonderful helpers, which I will talk about a little later, I am still on a treasure hunt for a few things hidden in poorly marked boxes and plastic totes. Where is that nearly open package of flour tortillas? I couldn't find my shampoo when I finally slowed down to try out my new shower. And I haven't looked for my laundry detergent yet and will probably need that in a few days.

What was moved and organized by a hearty band of volunteers is nothing short of a miracle. I wouldn't blame them if I asked them again for help in a move in the coming years if they were suddenly out of town. But the miracle came when I asked my aunt and uncle if they might drive over from western Illinois to help. I remembered that Donna, my aunt that is younger than I am, had been interested in seeing where I was living. Her ever-patient husband, Danny, is still young and healthy enough to try an adventure. Not only did he provide a lot of the muscle and transportation, I'm sure he is on a first-name basis with the clerks at Casey's, which supplied us with pizza for supper one night, as well as a couple of adult beverages and breakfast the next morning.

Knowing I would need some local help to supplement my relatives – I wasn't going to be much help in moving that living room and bedroom furniture, I got instant help from Rev. Charles Johnson. But when he showed up with his wonderful wife, Karen, I knew that she and my aunt, both recently retired teachers, would have a lot in common and would make quick work of packing and cleaning the kitchen in the old place. The last important volunteer was Bruce Gapstur, who was uncertain if he would be in town on Friday, but luckily he was. So I witnessed two work cyclones that day – Donna and Karen in the kitchen and bathroom area and Danny, Charles and Bruce in the rest of the apartment. I tried to help when I could, but I quickly realized that age and a tricky hip made my work more a person to answer the frequent question, “Where do you want this?” I love my computer and the internet, but I am a self-professed amateur when it comes to knowing how this thing works. Thankfully, I remembered my pastor, Steve Huebbel, knows a lot more about how this thing works than I do and he quickly figured out the tangled mess of cables and wires so I would have something to type on today.

When I had a moment to think back on the initial question that I posed at the start of this piece, I amazed myself. Trying to remember each place I had moved to from the time I took my first full time job in Independence to this weekend was like counting sheep when you try to sleep. I can remember what each apartment and house looked like, just don't ask me to remember the address of each place. Remember, I'm officially a senior citizen! Starting in 1977, I lived in seven places in Independence and this is the fourth residence in Belle Plaine. There were a couple of necessary moves to the Quad-Cities during those years. On the plus side of each of those moves, I've had great help from family and friends and usually settled in places where I didn't have to move appliances. But I do have a substantial record collection. The good news for my most recent mover warriors, a majority of those records remain in local storage, where they have been for several years!

In each of those moves, I have had wonderful and patient landlords and was never evicted. Most of the moves were an attempt to upgrade my surroundings, along with a couple of family considerations. My last apartment was really nice and I'm glad it already has a new tenant. I gave up a second bedroom and a garage for this move. But that apartment rent was based on fair market value, while since I reached that magical 62 year old birthday, I not only qualified for Social Security, but also senior housing with a welcome rent reduction.

Before I forget, I should also mention that my out-of-town helpers were very impressed with our local overnight accommodations. Jerilyn DeRaad and Jeff Brown have a wonderful downtown apartment they rent for overnight visitors. And once Donna and Danny got used to the trains roaring past just feet from their bed, they raved about their night stay.

What have I learned about this move so far? Besides the most important factor that God had a hand in giving me such wonderful helpers, I realize that I must be diligent in paring down my possessions. Sorry, Danny, I haven't decided to part with those VHS tapes I inherited from Mom and I promise one day I will have a workable machine to play them on. I am also learning to wean myself away from visual media, thankfully on a short-term basis. The cable guy couldn't come until today, meaning I was without TV and internet for nearly a week. WMT-radio is a poor substitution. I'm sick of Fox radio news and right-wing commentators. But WMT is also the local radio voice of the Chicago Bears. Fortunately, KDAT-FM is playing non-stop Christmas music, so in the coming few days I should be able to get in the proper spirit as I rest my tired muscles and continue the unpacking and arranging. One of the first things we did on Saturday was unpack, decorate and light my Christmas tree!

As I read what I have written so far, I realize most of it has been about me, along with some words of thanks to my great helpers. I pledge that my next entry with focus on other matters, perhaps the reason for the season!







No comments:

Post a Comment