Wednesday, October 7, 2015

A brave look at religion and politics

By Jeff Orvis

They say the quickest way to start a fight is to begin a discussion on religion or politics. So while I often like to keep this blog light, if the discussion of either above topic bothers you, perhaps you should wait for the next entry.

Let me start by stating that I am a professing Christian and very proud and grateful for that fact. God has gotten me through a lot over my life and I recognize he is with me every step of the way. But one of the gifts I think He has given me is tolerance. And unfortunately, I see less and less tolerance in this country each day.
Some people seem to think if we just let God in our schools, everything will be okay. Others are shocked when state and county governments won't allow the Ten Commandments to be prominently displayed on the grounds of government buildings.

I believe in prayer. Lord knows, forgive the weak pun, that I have called upon him numerous times silently before taking a big test in school, as well as before building up the nerve to ask a particular girl to a dance. I also believe in the Ten Commandments and realize that as a sinner, I don't keep them each day. But that doesn't mean I don't try.

Our Sunday school teachers and clergy have done a great job of teaching us that belief in Christ is the only way to get to Heaven. My way or the highway and that highway is a one-way to a very unpleasant, very warm place.

It's been many years since I studied American history. But from what I remember, it seems that our ancestors, at least some of them, came to this country to escape a European country where there was only one religion. I have no doubt that the early settlers drew upon their faith to sustain them during those tough first years. But they did it without a federal government looking over their shoulders, telling them who and how to worship.

I have recently become aware of a term, Christian dominionism. My interpretation may be a bit off, but it seems to be the belief that this country is a Christian nation and the devout believers in this concept believe we will all be doomed if we don't allow prayer back in our public schools and the Ten Commandments in our courthouses and statehouses. Their belief is well meaning. If more people followed the teachings of Christ, this would be a more civilized and peaceful society.

But my question to these folks is, if we are a free society, where one of our cherished freedoms is to practice, or not practice, the religion of our choice, how is this a Christian nation? What about our friends and neighbors that have contributed so much to the growth of this country? Why isn't America just as much a Jewish nation, or Hindu nation or, perish the thought, an Islamic nation? Some of these religions have teachings I am vehemently opposed to, especially not admitting that women are equal and should not be treated with anything but respect.

Like it or not, and many of us don't, we have been catapulted into the 2016 presidential campaign. The latest fad of many of the current candidates, especially the Republicans, is to stand up in front of a group and say, “Vote for me, I'm a Christian!” I'm waiting for one of them, probably Trump, to slip and say that while speaking in a mosque or synagogue.

The point is, just as we have broken the color barrier in the White House and may soon break the gender barrier, there will come a time when we also break the bonds of believing that our president must be a Bible-carrying Protestant Christian. Other religions teach peace and compassion. The jury is still out on whether we will see any of these other folks in Heaven, but ultimately we don't have the final say in the matter.

The candidate that gets my vote will be the one who will indicate that they lean on a Superior Being for strength, but also one who freely admits that he, or she, wants to be the president of all Americans, regardless of what they do on Saturdays or Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment