Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A different view on the holiday shopping frenzy

By Jeff Orvis

Gray Thursday, Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Cyber Monday. Here it is a couple of days after the initial madness of the holiday shopping frenzy. These are the times when I am somewhat grateful for living on a limited budget. Most of the members of my family who will be getting presents from me already have more material possessions than I do. I'm not complaining. I celebrate their good fortune and at the same time am thankful for what I have.

I suspect that at least some of the folks who waited all night on Thanksgiving Eve for the chance at a good buy on a TV or computer were attempting to impress those who would be receiving the gifts. But I've never attempted to buy a gift for someone where I would risk being knifed, shot or tazered for the item. Do these folks really believe that a $200 TV is worth a possible hospital bill or a criminal record for disorderly conduct?

I'll admit I enjoy shopping for bargains on those rare occasions when I go to a store. But if I'm in a grocery store and there's one can of beans left on a shelf at a sale price and somebody else grabs it just before I get there, I'll gladly pay the extra dime for another brand of beans.

We live in an incredibly competitive society. Some would even call it a desperate society. Many folks are unfortunately living on the economic edge. But why do they think their lives will be better if they pull out that credit card and spend much more than they can actually afford? Will they remember that warm feeling they had at gift giving time when, three months down the road they are contemplating bankruptcy when the bills are past due?

Corporate America lives on the gullibility and impatience of the public. That's a pretty strong statement and I realize that many corporations do a lot of good for all of us. But when I see a credit card commercial where the consumer is offered points or frequent flier miles for using a particular card, no where do I see that the consumer can be charged up to 24 percent or more annual interest for using the card. When Menard's, the home improvement giant, advertises a big rebate sale, only in the fine print do you notice that the rebate is actually a Menard's card, not cash.

I used to like to look at the newspaper ad inserts from Walgreen's and CVS pharmacies. They are both wonderful stores. But the advertised sale prices on virtually everything in those fliers come with a small print that says, “with card.” In order to receive that price, you have to present a card that indicates that you have filled out an application, probably including your address or e-mail address, professing your loyalty to that store and enabling corporate to send you all sorts of junk mail.

Just sell me the item at the posted price and don't make me flash a card.

I've told this story before. But when my family decided to spend a big portion of our tax refund on our first computer, we went to one of those big box stores and found a nice computer at a reasonable price. But the fine print stated that in order to get that price, we had to mail in a rebate form. So I asked the unfortunate salesman who waited on us to show us a computer that didn't come with a rebate. When he said that wasn't possible, we said “Thanks” and walked out. We went across the street to another store and bought a computer with no rebate attached. Apparently, more folks did the same thing. I notice now that the big box retailer has fewer rebate specials.

The only way all this will change is if the consumer starts taking more care when he or she makes a purchase. As long as you make purchases with those loyalty cards, buy big ticket items at stores where the sale price is only obtained with a rebate then maybe or maybe not remember to send in for the rebate or keep buying those 11 ounce cans of coffee that were were once 16 ounces – for the same price – without protesting to the corporations, nothing will change.

More importantly at this time of the year, if you believe that those certain presents are available for a “limited time only” and you spend your time and money trying to make someone else happy, you will lose sight of the real “reason for the season.” That babe in the manger in Bethlehem certainly didn't need a big screen TV. Those treasures presented by the Wise Men were nice, but I doubt they had to fight off crowds for them, or mail in rebate forms to pay for them.

So while I'll do a little shopping this holiday season, I'm vowing to spend more time in praise and thanksgiving for the One for whom we should all be celebrating this time of the year.

Although I hope to remember to post another message later this month, for now, have a merry, blessed and sane Christmas season!

No comments:

Post a Comment