Thursday, January 5, 2012

Don't dis my home state!

By Jeff Orvis

Last summer, I had the opportunity to take a trip to the southeastern part of this country. It marked my first visit to several states, including Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, a little bit of Georgia and Florida. Probably because of my coverage of city government in three Iowa communities over the years and my desire to someday get away from Iowa's normally harsh winters, I started trying to picture myself living in some of the cities and towns we passed through.

This came to mind in the last few weeks as our state was visited by hundreds of folks who want to be president, work for a president or report on a future president. While they were here, members of the national press were, for the most part, gracious in their assessments of how the candidates were treated in our small and large municipalities. Unfortunately, within hours after they got on their planes and headed back to New York or Atlanta, the wise cracks about those folks who lived out in the sticks began.

It seems like many folks who live in cities of 500,000 or more develop this thick skin and put up their defenses. Soon, it's second nature for them to jump in their car and drive five miles on four-lane streets for the privilege of buying a quart of milk. They pay big money for a house or condo of under 2,000 feet in search of safe, quiet neighborhoods. Unfortunately, this lifestyle means their circle of friends and acquaintances may be a small group of co-workers, a few people they may know from their church or club. When you commute by vehicle from your suburban home into the city for your job, it's very seldom you will encounter the same person more than once in a week or month.

So maybe it's understandable why these folks might feel like they are preparing for a trip to a foreign land when they follow a candidate to places like Newton, Pella or Vinton. Existing on their hefty TV network expense accounts, they are frustrated when they come into a town and can't find somebody to shine their shoes, somewhere to buy a $5 cup of coffee or find a dinner of prime rib or lobster, except maybe on Friday or Saturday night. If they drive down an Iowa small town Main Street and somebody smiles and waves at them, they probably feel threatened. They may not understand why the whole town might mourn at the passing of a longtime resident or why all businesses close down when the local high school basketball team plays in the state tournament.

I understand that national media members operate on fierce competition, constant pressure and a “what have you done for me in the last 10 minutes” from their bosses back at the home office. But that's still no reason to put down the lifestyle of a section of this country after just a couple of days and a frenzied trip back to urban insanity.

On our trip this summer, we saw some towns I could picture living in, a few I wish I had more time to visit and one or two I have no desire to see again. Nashville at noontime on a weekday was crazy. Birmingham at rush hour was nearly impossible. Montgomery was depressing, a major victim of the recession. Much of our travels through the state of Alabama were on four-lane, divided state highways. Several times, we were slowed on the outskirts of smaller cities by four-way stops. You got a glimpse of some of these towns, but some of them made you long for a closer look.

Jacksonville, FL is one of those cities that was fun to visit, I wouldn't mind visiting again, but I sure don't know why anybody would want to live there. The area boasts a population of nearly 1 million and it is spread out over one of the widest areas of any city in the country. My sister and brother-in-law were certainly gracious hosts. Along with my niece and nephew, we got to see many of the highlights of the Jacksonville area, as well as a nice day in St. Augustine and another great trip to Daytona Beach.

But none of these places felt like home, like a place I would want to live in. My sister and her husband have lived in the Dallas area, Shreveport, LA and now Jacksonville. I only half-jokingly asked her how many years of her life did she think she has spent behind the wheel of a car. It seems like if you don't have a cell phone and a reliable car, forget it.

Fortunately, because of their upbringing and just because of the people they are, my sister and her husband aren't the snobbish-type of people who popped into our state in the last few weeks before jetting off to New Hampshire. But after living in places where a trip to the mall might be a monthly experience, I realize that we travel in two different worlds. They have to figure on at least an hour commute to their jobs. I could walk to work in about 10 minutes. They live for the opportunity to pull up at the drive-thru and fork over a five-spot for a cup of coffee drink with some sort of fancy flavoring and froth on top. For that same $5, I could stop by a diner on Main Street and order a sandwich and fries to go with a cup of regular coffee.

When I left the Quad-Cities nearly 35 years ago, I was a shy, introverted person who had a bit of that suburban hard shell. But it wasn't long before that shell fell away and I was smiling and waving at folks I passed on the street of Independence. You had to, otherwise people would talk about you! The funny thing is, since moving back to Davenport, I've tried to retain the friendly attitude I cultivated in Independence and then Belle Plaine. I try to make brief conversation with the check-out folks at the local stores. And what may confuse some of those folks from the big cities out east, if you speak in a civil tone to someone who is making change for you at the grocery store, even in Davenport, they will often talk back in an genuine friendly tone.

Scientists are constantly seeking the secrets to long life. Reporters report on their research. I don't know how long I will live, but despite a lifestyle that's long on fatty food and short on meaningful exercise, I'm nearing the big 6-0 in relatively good health. Just maybe the secret is the fact that more than half my life I've lived in small town Iowa.

So, I say to the big-city snobs who have put down Iowans, come back sometime with a little more time and an open mind. Try us, you might like us!

No comments:

Post a Comment