Thursday, May 19, 2011

Is the end near?

This might be my last column. Please don't misunderstand. It's been a real pleasure being able to use this forum to vent my frustrations from time to time and at other times, to congratulate people for their good actions. I've had a Ramblings column for more than 35 years, in three newspapers, later on the internet and most recently on my own blog. 

But according to the 89-year-old owner of the Christian Family Radio Network, the end is coming on Saturday, May 21. He says it should happen at about 6 p.m. But he doesn't say if that's eastern time, Mountain time or Zulu, whatever that is. 

According to published reports, Harold Camping has calculated via some Bible verses and mathematics that we are less than two days away from extinction. He is so certain of this that he has posted the message on 2,000 billboards across the country and taken out a lot of big newspaper ads to warn us all. 

The Orlando Sentinel reports that Camping had first predicted that the end would come in September, 1994. When most of us were still here the next day, he explained that he had uncovered new Biblical information, or news flash or revelation, that said that calculation was off. 

I feel quite safe in continuing with this column. After all, if he's right, he won't be around to tell me “I told you so” and I won't be around to listen. I would hope we would both have better things to do at that point in getting acquainted with our heavenly home.

I don't mean to mock someone who studies the Bible. In a secular sense, everybody needs a hobby. In a spiritual sense, if you are a believer, you know Biblical study is vital to a better understanding of your faith. But in the limited understanding I have of the Bible and based on more than 50 years of listening to sermons from a variety of preachers, I remember hearing that God will take us in his own sweet time and we won't necessarily know when that will be. 

The Bible is a great book to study. But the danger is if you open the book and have a notion of what you want it to say, you might see something that really isn't there. That explains that nut case in Florida who claimed he was doing God's work when he planned on burning copies of the Koran. All this did was give the leader of a congregation of under 100 his 15 minutes of fame and prompted riots and the deaths of several people in the Middle East. 

There have been numerous incidents where people have murdered doctors who performed abortions under the misguided theory that they were doing God's work. Then there's that nut case preacher in Kansas who feels compelled to stage noisy, irreverent protests near the funerals of war heroes, claiming to do the work of the Lord.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should point out here that I am a Christian. I believe that is the one guaranteed way to eternal life. But I would be the last to try to force my beliefs on others. In fact, I admire the dedication others show in their faith journey. There are hundreds of millions of Muslims in this world. I don't agree with what they teach, but I admire the devotion of the vast majority of them who practice their religion in peace. My heart aches for the Jews and the persecution they went through in World War II. I don't agree with their teaching, but admire their devotion. I may not agree with all of the teachings of the Mormons, but I think all of us could learn a lot on how they conduct their missionary teachings. 

I draw the line at inciting riots, killing or dying “in God's name” or mocking others who choose to practice their faith in peace. 

I really don't know if Mr. Camping is right. Maybe the second coming will be Saturday at 5:30 and when Mr. Camping asks God what happened to the 6 p.m. Schedule, He will say, “who's in charge here anyway?”

But just in case he's wrong, I plan on picking out my clothes Saturday afternoon for Sunday church. And I'll begin thinking of what to write in this space next week. Just in case...

1 comment:

  1. Please for humanity's sake please do it once
    I have made a blog at blogger.com Since i have added a google adsense in the blog but haven't made a penny with this. I need your help and support to help me make some money to PAY MY Tuition Fees.
    What you have to do is follow these simple steps

    1.go to Google.com and search "kwotz2011.blogspot.com"
    2.then visit my blog from the the search results.
    3.Remain on the page i.e Kwotz for one minute or so and do some random surfing
    4. click ONE of the ads that APPEALS to you from Ads by Google boxes and visit there.
    5.remain on that page for one minute or so and do some random surfing.
    and that's it.

    IMPORTANT:Only two clicks are needed.
    I will be grateful to you.
    I really need your help

    ReplyDelete